What is more picturesque than sitting cozy beside a roaring fireplace cuddled in a blanket with a warm mug of hot chocolate in your hands? And no truly comforting hot cocoa is complete without creamy, melting homemade marshmallows sprinkled liberally on top too! This season, forget the inferior pre-packaged fluff, and upgrade to amazing, easy marshmallows made to fresh perfection at home.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp, plus 2 1/2 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup hot water (about 115°F.)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg whites*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease bottom and sides of a 13- by 9- by 2-inch metal baking pan and dust all oiled surfaces with confectioners’ sugar.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand to soften.
- In a heavy saucepan, cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy or digital thermometer registers 240°F. Remove pan from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
- Beat mixture vigorously until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume (about 10 minutes).
- In a large bowl with cleaned beaters, beat whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Then, fold egg whites and vanilla into sugar mixture until just combined.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and sift 1/4 cup confectioners sugar evenly over top. Chill marshmallow, uncovered, until firm. (This will take at least 3 hours and up to 1 day).
- Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board. Lifting up 1 corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and let drop onto cutting board. With a large knife trim edges of marshmallow and cut marshmallow into roughly 1-inch cubes. Sift remaining confectioners’ sugar into a large bowl and add marshmallows in batches, tossing to evenly coat.
And here are a few more Yummly marshmallow recipes for your enjoyment!
Related Searches on Yummly:
- Golden Grahams s’mores
- Marshmallow chocolate fudge
- Peppermint marshmallow
- Chocolate and marshmallow smores
- Hot chocolate
Photo Credits: I Used to be a Cook