Celebrate National Cake Day with this tender, airy chocolate cake! Having tried many of these cakes in the past, I know the difficulty in finding one that turns out to be exactly as chocolate-y, not-too-sweet, and still as moist as a good cake should be. If you’ve ever known the supreme disappointment of baking up a dry, unappetizing chocolate disaster, this is the recipe you need in your life! It’s very reliable recipe, isn’t too hard to make, and has just the right amount of sweet.
Makes 2-dozen cupcakes or 2 9-inch round pans of cake.
2 cups boiling water
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup softened butter
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans (or line 2 cupcake tins). In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Spread batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool.