Making a spider-web design on cupcakes is an incredible simple way to get a little more festive this season! All you need is a bit of frosting, royal icing, and a toothpick. Plus, you can make it even fancier with easy marzipan spiders and other tasty candy embellishments. If you’re looking for a quick, tasty treat for the occasion, this is a great one to pick.
- Frosted cupcakes (I baked my favorite chocolate cake recipe with whipped cream cheese frosting)
- Black royal icing
- Once your cupcakes are ready to be decorated, squeeze one dot of royal icing in the center of the cupcake.
- Draw two concentric royal icing circles around the center dot.
- Use your toothpick to quickly draw radial lines from the center of the circle to the outside.
Tips for Decorating with Marzipan (or Fondant)
- If you don’t want to decorate the frosting directly, roll out circles from marzipan (or fondant) and make spiderwebs on those. That way, you can frost your cupcakes any way you like and add the topper at the end.
- Marzipan can also be rolled out into cute spider shapes just by rolling out two small balls, pushing them together, and drawing 8 royal icing legs on either side!
- You can add color to marzipan easily by rolling it with food dye. Just keep kneading until the color is even.